Wait, don’t buy it yet! If you are looking for a computer for graphic design and you are not clear about what characteristics it should have, you have reached the note that will solve your doubts. Or maybe you want to buy a laptop for design. In either case, our goal is to help you choose the right device.
We know that to dedicate yourself to graphic design or illustration, in addition to talent, it is necessary to have a powerful machine that supports the most demanding programs for designers. For this reason, we have developed an index with everything you need to know before entering an online store and buying your computer or Best Laptop For Adobe Illustrator.
Do not rush, because it depends on this that your future PC or laptop is not the kind that hangs or slows down when you export a file or edit an image. You don’t want that, do you? So, keep reading …
1. What is RAM memory?
RAM is the acronym for Random Access Memory, which in Spanish means “Random Access Memory”. The commonly called “RAM memory” is nothing other than the main device where the data of the programs or applications in operation are stored (temporarily), either on your PC or on your laptop for design.
Temporary? Yes. Because the data stored in RAM disappears once you shut down or restart your computer. It is something like the “short term memory” of your computer.
How to know if your RAM is working properly? If your graphic design computer is fast, you don’t have to worry. Speed is synonymous with RAM in perfect condition.
And what if my computer slows down? Your RAM memory capacity is probably insufficient. Remember that the more RAM, your computer will have a greater capacity to execute several processes at the same time. That capacity is measured in GB (GigaBytes).
2. Types of RAM
Today there are two types of RAM.
DDR SDRAM memories: it is the most current and commercialized type of RAM memory. It is the one that allows two operations: read and write. The number it includes determines its speed and version. The higher the number, the higher the speed. For example DDR2, DDR3, DDR4.
DRAM Memories: Dynamic, simple, cheap, but also slower. Most computers have this type of RAM.
3. processor of a computer: Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7
As the name implies, a computer’s processor is responsible for processing program data and executing system operations. In fact, it is present in various electronic devices, it is not exclusive to computers.
How do I know if my computer’s processor is working fine? If operations run quickly on your computer, it is because the “brain” of your system works very well.
There are two brands of processors for computers and laptops: Intel and AMD. But here we will talk about the first, the most dominant on the market.
Intel processors are basically distinguished by their version number; that is, a higher number means a faster and more powerful processor, but also more expensive. For example Intel Core i3, Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7.
- Intel Core i3: It is a two-core processor. It is ideal for performing basic functions. surf the Internet, use Office, etc.
- Intel Core i5: It is a processor that usually has four cores. It is more powerful than the Intel Core i3. It is suitable if you use more complex programs such as Photoshop or even if you are a video game.
- Intel Core i7: This is a more powerful version, as it streamlines the processes of the most complex programs or applications.
So if you are wondering “how do I know how many cores my PC has?”, Just check which version of the Intel Core processor your computer has.
4. Where can you see what features my PC has?
- Go to the search engine on your desktop and type “This computer”, click on the result.
- The window where you have your files will open.
- Next, right-click on “This computer” and choose the last option: Properties. There you can see the characteristics of your PC or laptop. Super simple.
5. Characteristics of a computer or laptop for graphic design
The model of computer or laptop that you decide to purchase will depend on the use you want to give it or the programs you want to install. The cheapest equipment that you are going to find in the market is around $ 600, and they have the capacity to support more than one program, except those that require renderings.
Here are four tips that will help you when choosing your PC or laptop to design:
- Make sure it has an Intel Core i5 processor onwards.
- Your RAM memory cannot be less than 8GB. If you can get a memory of 16 GB or more, it will be much better.
- Make sure you have an SSD-type hard drive (solid disk). They are not cheap, but they will significantly streamline your team’s processes. The recommended thing is the 128G SSD (maximum 256G).
- Find a PC with a good screen resolution. If your option is a laptop, you may require external displays.
6. Characteristics of a computer or laptop for Photoshop
Although Photoshop can work on any modern laptop, the ideal is to choose one that allows you to streamline the processes of this software, which has more and more plugins that can slow it down.
We advise you to choose at least a model that has 8GB of RAM (although Adobe ensures that 2GB or more is fine).
When it comes to screen resolution, look for a 1280 x 800 model, 16 bits of color, and a dedicated 2GB VRAM (graphics card), so you don’t miss any details.
Adobe recommends Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660, or Quadro T1000 graphics card and 3.1 GB or more hard drive space.
Regarding the operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 10 (2018 update); macOS version 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS version 10.14 (Mojave), macOS version 10.15 (Catalina).
If you need a laptop that is economical and functional, the ACER Aspire E15 is a good choice. It has an eighth-generation Intel Core i5 processor, 15.6-inch screen, 8GB of RAM, and 2GB of RAM on the graphics card.
On the other hand, if you have been using this software for a short time, we recommend you to know the most useful Photoshop tools.