Don’t make trees rare, keep them with care!
Birch trees are known for their aesthetics because of their beauty. But, they are not known for their long lifespan. For that, you can always improve the chances by pruning the birch trees and hiring the best tree cutting services in Sacramento.
Given below are the reasons why you need to cut back birch trees –
- You must remove any branches that detract from the overall appearance of the tree.
- You must remove branches that are not very close to the ground in order to make landscaping easier and allow comfort in your yard.
- Remove all the branches that are too close to another branch. This step is required when the trees are too young.
- It’s important to remove all the disease, death, and the injured branches for the good health of the tree.
- Branches that are rubbing together must be removed because they become entry points for diseases and insects.
Why and when you must do tree pruning?
Most landscapers prune trees in the late winter or early spring. This time duration is not good for birch trees. During this time, birch trees bleed a heavy flow of sap if pruned while awakening the winter rest so that the best time to prune all the birch trees is during early autumn or late summer. So, when you prune the trees at the right time, you save your trees from sap flows and infections. These are the insects that cause unsightly damage and they spread out diseases in the trees. Birch tree borers are killers and you must reduce the risk of attack by cutting over the trees in their early summer season.
How to prune birch trees
There are many methods of pruning birch trees. When you hire proficient tree trimming service providers, they take care of the whole process. When you do it on your own, you must keep in mind to remove the suckers and side shoots first. Next, you must take out the branches that are not required. Be as conservative as required. If you remove more than 25% of the canopy, it will weaken the tree and it might become fatal. So, always remove branches that are less than 2 inches in diameter, closer to the collar, or the thickened area that’s attached to the trunk. You can use one swift quick cut with the long-handled pruners in order to remove the branches, then clean your pruning tool with a 10% bleach solution before moving to another branch.
For large branches, there are three types of cuts that you can go for –
- The undercut – In this, you need to measure 18 inches out along the branch, make a cut 1/3rd to ½ of the way through the branch towards the underside and in the upward direction. This is a cut that prevents the falling branch from stripping as the tree falls.
- The main cut – Measure 2.5cm out from the undercut and cut out the branch from the top downwards. With this, you’ll be able to cut it down smoothly as possible.
- Tidy up – Cut off the flush with the collar, it won’t regrow at the same point. Stub must be removed to eliminate the risk of diseases.
To briefly conclude, it’s very important for the yard owners to understand the importance of tree cutting, tree pruning, and tree removal services. Once you know why it’s required, you’ll be able to hire the best tree removal services in Sacramento.
Save trees, live an active lifestyle!