Nothing can be worse than an infestation of cockroaches in a home. Cockroaches aren’t just filthy pests; they can also transmit diseases, cause food poisoning, trigger allergic reactions or even cause asthma attacks. They are one of the fastest breeding pests that can invade your home. So, if you get a couple of breeding female cockroaches in your home, there are probably thousands of roaches within a few months. And at times, getting rid of cockroaches on your own is not possible.
So, what can you do to control roach infestation? Let’s discuss the same.
- Find Points Of Entry: One of the most important steps you can take to prevent and control roach infestation is to find and seal any entry points in your living space. Cockroaches can squeeze through even the smallest of cracks, so it is essential to examine the entire perimeter of your home or building and make sure there are no entry points. Common entry points include cracks in the foundation, windows, doors, or vents. Once you spot the potential entry points, seal them with caulk or steel wool.
- Eliminate Their Water Sources: Cockroaches need water to survive. So if you eliminate their access to water, you can drastically reduce their population. Check for any leaks, pooling water, or standing water, and fix them as soon as possible. If needed, consider investing in a dehumidifier to ensure the air in your home or building is as dry as possible.
- Remove Potential Hiding Places: Cockroaches like to hide in dark, moist areas, so it’s important to make sure that you reduce their hiding places. Move items like furniture, boxes, and clutter away from the walls, and make sure to sweep away any food crumbs or debris that could attract the cockroaches.
- Starve Them Out: Ultimately, one of the most effective methods of controlling roach infestation is to simply starve them out. This means eliminating their food sources, which include anything from food crumbs to pet food or sugary items. Clean up spills or crumbs immediately, and make sure the kitchen and pantry are free of food debris. Seal all food containers, and store food items away in the fridge or an airtight container.
- Trash Control: In addition, you need to take care of your trash and keep it away from your home or building. Make sure garbage cans or dumpsters are covered and emptied regularly. Don’t leave food waste or compost out in the open, as this could attract cockroaches. Overall, getting rid of roaches requires a multi-faceted approach. Proper sanitation, sealing of entry points, and use of pest control products can help you effectively get rid of the cockroach infestation.
- Use Cockroach Pest Control Products: Last but not least, you can use cockroach pest control products to get rid of roaches. These products vary in effectiveness, so it’s important to research and find the best product for your individual situation. Some popular pest control products include sprays and traps. Properly follow the instructions for the pest control product you choose for safe and effective usage.
Which one should I use – Spray or traps?
Getting rid of roaches can be a complicated and frustrating process, and it’s important to choose the right method for the task. Sprays and traps are two of the most common methods used to eliminate cockroaches, but which is the best option?
Sprays are one of the most common methods of killing roaches. These products come in aerosol cans and are applied directly to the Cockroaches and their hiding places. Most sprays contain insecticides that kill the roaches on contact. They are typically quick and effective, and the spray can last up to several weeks, depending on the product used.
The main disadvantage of using sprays is that they can be hazardous to people, pets, and the environment. Some sprays can be highly toxic and can be dangerous if inhaled or ingested. In addition, these products can easily spread throughout the home and can be difficult to clean up.
On the other hand, traps are another popular solution for eliminating roaches. Traps use attractants to lure the roaches into a sticky trap, where they become stuck and eventually die. Traps are a great way to get rid of large infestations. You can use traps to eliminate cockroaches from their hiding places and target specific rooms or areas. Since traps use an adhesive material to trap the roaches, they are safe to use around kids and pests. They are eco-friendly. However, you have to replace the roach traps periodically.
If you are wondering where to buy sticky traps for roaches, you can use pest control products from Eco Pest, SenSci BlackOut, Hot Shot, etc.