No matter whether teens are at school, hanging out with their friends, participating in a sports event, or doing a presentation, they need to be confident. However, many teens feel self-conscious when undergoing orthodontic treatment that requires wearing traditional metal braces. As a result, they feel reluctant when it comes to participating in an activity.
If you are a parent of a child who is struggling with the same problem, you should opt for Invisalign clear aligners. Invisalign is an alternative treatment to metal braces or wires. Not only is Invisalign more comfortable than traditional braces, it also helps your child boost their confidence.
So, what are Invisalign clear aligners?
Invisalign is made up of clear plastic. Although Invisalign aligners are not completely invisible, they are less noticeable than traditional braces. The aligner trays fit tightly over your teeth and gradually move your teeth into proper alignment. The great thing about Invisalign is that they are easily removable, making it easier for teens to eat and maintain their oral health.
If you are looking forward to opting for Invisalign and seeking a dentist who can offer your Invisible clear aligners in Edmonton, you can find many options. For Invisalign treatment to be effective, your child needs to wear the Invisalign for a minimum of 22 hours a day.
However, wearing Invisalign for such a long period can be challenging, especially in the beginning. So, if your child lacks the discipline to wear their Invisalign trays for the recommended time, this article is for you.
In this guide, we will share a few tips on how you can help your teen wear their Invisalign trays for the recommended time period and care for their clear aligners at school.
How should teens wear Invisalign aligners in school?
1. Help them relieve their discomfort: In the beginning, the Invisalign aligners will cause discomfort as they tightly fit over their teeth, leading to soreness. Moreover, wearing and removing them can be painful. So, if your child complains to you about sore or sensitive teeth, you should not ignore them and instead, try the following methods:
- You can offer your child dental wax to alleviate their discomfort.
- Ask them to rinse their mouth with peroxide-based mouthwash to soothe mouth sores.
- You can also provide them with an aligner removal kit that makes removing trays a breeze.
- Encourage them to drink cold water. It will help numb the area.
- If everything fails, they can choose to take medications as directed by the dentist.
2. Encourage good oral hygiene: Undoubtedly, practicing good oral hygiene is important, not only for children but for adults too. However, it is more important for teens in Invisalign. So, they must brush and floss their teeth after every meal and before reinserting the Invisalign trays.
So, pack them a soft bristle toothbrush and toothpaste recommended as per the dentist. When they come back, monitor the paste in the tube. There should be noticeable dispersion after a week.
- In order to make your child follow good oral health practices, tell them:
- Why should they keep their braces and teeth clean?
- How can unhealthy oral practices cause cavities, plaque, bad breath, discolored and smelly trays?
- How to brush and floss their teeth at school?
- Why is it crucial to keep the braces in the kit when not in use?
3. Pack their lunch with soft food items: Diet plays a vital role in keeping your child healthy and fit. Since it is challenging to wear the aligners for almost 90% of the day, this may discourage your child from eating. Being a good parent, it is your responsibility to take care of their nutrition while in orthodontic treatment.
So, always pack their lunch with soft food items, including porridge, yogurts, oatmeal, smoothie, etc. Not only are such food items easy to eat, but you can be sure that your child is getting all the essential nutrients required for the proper development of body and mind. You can also schedule a consultation with Edmonton Invisalign Dentist to know what food items are good for your child.
The Bottom Line
Undoubtedly, Invisalign clear aligners are a good alternative to metal braces. However, many children find it difficult to wear their trays for a minimum of 22 hours a day. As a result, they may not get the desired results as quickly as what is on the treatment plan. Being a good parent, it is your responsibility to help your child and encourage them to follow good oral hygiene practices. Also, ensure that your child is not drinking warm water as it can damage the shape of aligners.
Apart from this, some children may face changes in speech patterns, which is why teens might not wear the Invisalign in the first place. However, it is temporary. In order to ensure your child doesn’t feel low, work with them at home to overcome their speed impediments. We hope that the tips we listed can help your child wear their Invisalign trays and take care of them properly. If you have any questions or you need some help regarding affordable Invisalign treatment in Edmonton, please reach out to our office.