Chemicals personal protective lab equipment are also equally important like other laboratory equipment Plano convex lenses, Microscope, convex concave lenses, double concave lens, The main purpose of personal protective equipment is to prevent illnesses and accidents that could alter the health of workers in the performance of any work activity. This equipment will be used in areas where the risks to which it is exposed cannot be avoided in any other way. However, it is very important to bear in mind that this safety equipment will not “disappear” the risks present, but together with responsible attitudes (such as having the necessary information for the handling of hazardous materials and equipment management) and good facilities, the safety and health of users will be ensured.
The risks to which you can be exposed in the work areas can be:
- Physical hazards such as extreme temperatures, moving objects, sharp or abrasive material, noise and radiation
- Biological hazards such as microbiological material, biological fluids or animal remains and
- Chemical risks involved in handling dangerous chemicals such as acids, bases, flammable, explosive and toxic products, among others.
Selection of Personal Protection
The personal safety equipment to be used in each work area should be selected based on the following points:
- Identify the risks in the work area and determine if these require the use of certain types of protective equipment. It must be considered that one risk may bring others with it, so this point must be carefully analyzed, for example, if the job involves working at high temperatures, it may include exposure to a certain type of radiation that must also be considered.
- Determine the necessary equipment like gloves, masks, lenses (convex concave lenses, Plano convex lenses, prism etc.) safety glasses, etc.
- Choose the safety equipment established in the previous point based on the information provided by the supplier with its limitations, since the selected equipment must provide a degree of protection greater than that required. An example in this regard is the choice of gloves for constant work with concentrated sulfuric acid, those made with neoprene, nitrile or tyvek, among others, should be chosen, but do not use surgeon gloves or natural rubber in general, since this material is not acid resistant. Hence the importance of taking into account that the materials used in the elaboration of the safety equipment have very special specifications. Another important factor in the choice could be the cost of the different materials.
- The equipment must be as comfortable as possible, an inappropriate size or lack of visibility could cause serious accidents or not provide adequate protection.
In the Chemistry Laboratories practical experiments are carried out such as:
Chemical reactions, separation of mixtures, preparation of solutions, chemical equilibrium, stoichiometry, air density, specific heat, liquid-vapor equilibrium, surface tension. Quality control is also carried out in the water with the determination of pH, total hardness, chlorides, total alkalinity, water softening, dissolved oxygen. In addition, the air and its pollutants are studied. These procedures will serve to understand the characteristics and benefits of foods, as well as better handling in industrialization processes.
In the Biology Laboratory practical experiments are carried out such as:
• Identification and characterization of microorganisms as species of sanitary importance.
• Techniques for isolating microorganisms, and evaluation of bacterial metabolic activities.
• Also evaluates the structure of plant cells, mitosis in plants, biological diversity, plant tissues, DNA extraction, and identification of blood groups.
Likewise, food quality control is carried out through:
• The analysis of the microbiology of ground meat and the transmission of microorganisms by manipulation.
• Determination of the microbiological quality of hamburgers after heat treatment.
• The microbiological analysis of the water, and the carrying out of samples of living, inert and environmental surfaces.
These processes allow a correct handling of safety in the different processes of food production, packaging and research in food biotechnology.